Running latest 32-bit Python on 64-bit system

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 11:42:29 EST 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 4:52 AM, Christian Ullrich <chris at chrullrich.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with using the (otherwise nice) Python launcher. How can I
> get it to run the highest 32-bit Python on my 64-bit system? This is on
> Windows, but I think it applies to other OSes as well.
>
> My application runs (unmodified) with Python 3.[345], but only with the
> 32-bit version because it loads a DLL that has no 64-bit version available.
> I would like to run it on any system that has *any* suitable Python
> installed.
>
> However, with the shebang syntax supported by the launcher, I can only
> demand a 32-bit version if I also specify the Python minor version I want,
> and I don't necessarily know that in advance.
>
> I can code around that, of course, but I don't want to. If Python can select
> the 64-bit version to run by itself, it should also be able to for the
> 32-bit version, right?

I don't think there's currently a way to do what you want, but it
seems like a reasonable thing to do.  Would you mind raising an
enhancement request on bugs.python.org?

About the closest you could come currently would be to specify the
full path to the interpreter, but of course that may vary by machine.

--
Zach