Running latest 32-bit Python on 64-bit system

Christian Ullrich chris at chrullrich.net
Fri Nov 13 05:52:01 EST 2015

Hello,

I have a problem with using the (otherwise nice) Python launcher. How
can I get it to run the highest 32-bit Python on my 64-bit system? This
is on Windows, but I think it applies to other OSes as well.

My application runs (unmodified) with Python 3.[345], but only with the
32-bit version because it loads a DLL that has no 64-bit version
available. I would like to run it on any system that has *any* suitable
Python installed.

However, with the shebang syntax supported by the launcher, I can only
demand a 32-bit version if I also specify the Python minor version I
want, and I don't necessarily know that in advance.

I can code around that, of course, but I don't want to. If Python can
select the 64-bit version to run by itself, it should also be able to
for the 32-bit version, right?

Thanks,

--
Christian