Format numbers

Seymore4Head Seymore4Head at Hotmail.invalid
Sun Nov 15 12:30:49 EST 2015

Just screwing around making up practice problems.  I can't get the
format right.  I am trying to learn how to get a output line to line
up neatly.

import random
lo=1
hi=10000 # I am adding or subtracting 0s from this input number
fm=len(str(hi)) # This counts the digits of the input number
print fm
a=random.randrange(lo,hi+1)
count=0
guess=0

while guess != a:
    guess=random.randrange(lo,hi + 1)
    print "guess =",

    print "{:8d}".format(guess),      #what I would like to do is use
the variable fm instead of the number 8 here so the number of fields
are the same as the input number.

    count+=1
    if guess==a:
        print " The hidden number was",a