Python.exe is not a valid Win32 application error message

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:28:11 EST 2015

On 11/11/2015 06:13 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM, M. Kamisato via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>> I am running python on Windows XP SP3 and download version 3.5xx.  I got the above error message and could not run the program.
>> I have downloaded Python version 2.7xx and it runs fine.
>> Is there any way I can get version 3.5xx to run on my computer?
>> Mel KamisatoBuena Park, CA
>
> You can't get 3.5 to run on XP, no; your options are:
>
> 1) Install Python 3.4, which does support XP
> 2) Upgrade to a newer version of Windows (anything from Vista onward
> will run 3.5; to save having to do this in future, jump straight to 7
> or 10)
> 3) Make the jump to Linux or FreeBSD or some other OS.
>
> When 3.5.1 is released (currently scheduled for early December),
> you'll get a clear and simple error when you try to install, rather
> than strange issues about it not being a valid program. That won't
> change the platform support, but at least it won't be as confusing.

The Python website is looking very professional and polished these days.
 But we still don't have a simple message on the download page telling
people Windows XP is no longer supported.  Given the number of people
posting lately (several each week), I would think even with the limited
time and resources of the python.org webmaster a little warning message
would be in order.  Even when the installer is fixed, it would still be
nice to have basic OS requirements listed before the download is ever
clicked.