Python.exe is not a valid Win32 application error message

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 08:13:29 EST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM, M. Kamisato via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> I am running python on Windows XP SP3 and download version 3.5xx.  I got the above error message and could not run the program.
> I have downloaded Python version 2.7xx and it runs fine.
> Is there any way I can get version 3.5xx to run on my computer?
> Mel KamisatoBuena Park, CA

You can't get 3.5 to run on XP, no; your options are:

1) Install Python 3.4, which does support XP
2) Upgrade to a newer version of Windows (anything from Vista onward
will run 3.5; to save having to do this in future, jump straight to 7
or 10)
3) Make the jump to Linux or FreeBSD or some other OS.

When 3.5.1 is released (currently scheduled for early December),
you'll get a clear and simple error when you try to install, rather
than strange issues about it not being a valid program. That won't
change the platform support, but at least it won't be as confusing.

ChrisA