IDLE quits unexpectedly when about to open or creat a new file

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Nov 10 12:49:19 EST 2015

On 11/10/2015 6:01 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:46 PM,  <trindadegoncalves at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need help to find out what's going on. I did some research, but I couldn't find anything to solve this problem:
>>
>> - I open the IDLE program;

 From the Start menu icon, let us presume.

>> - I go to the 'File' menu;

Of the shell window, I presume.

>> - I select the 'New File' option

This should create an empty EditorWindow instance.

>> - IDLE quits.

Puzzling.  The shell window is a subclass of EditorWindow, so
EditorWindow.__init__ has already run once -- without the extra stuff
added by the subclass.

>> I run the IDLE version 3.3.3 on Windows 8.1 Pro.
>> Should I install the most recent version?

That would be a good idea in general.  But first try what Chris
suggested below.  I am about half sure that the specific problem is on
your system.  It is possible that you need to delete something in
HOMEDIR/.idlerc/ but lets see what the error message is.  Have you been
using IDLE a while, or just started?

--
Terry Jan Reedy