IDLE quits unexpectedly when about to open or creat a new file

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 06:01:17 EST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:46 PM,  <trindadegoncalves at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need help to find out what's going on. I did some research, but I couldn't find anything to solve this problem:
>
> - I open the IDLE program;
> - I go to the 'File' menu;
> - I select the 'New File' option
> - IDLE quits.
>
> I run the IDLE version 3.3.3 on Windows 8.1 Pro.
> Should I install the most recent version?

That sounds like a very interesting problem. Can you try running it
from the command line, please? I'm not sure how to open one up from
Win 8, but it should be in the Start menu somewhere, or possibly press
Windows+R and type "cmd". With that up, type this:

python -m idlelib.idle

That should open up the same IDLE window that you know and recognize.
Do the exact same thing that caused the unexpected termination, and
then you should go back to the command prompt - hopefully with some
sort of error message. Copy and paste that message (as text, please,
not an image) into an email; that information could be very helpful.

ChrisA