Guide in Deskop Application Development in Python for newbies

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 10:45:25 EST 2015

On 11/07/2015 07:44 AM, leonardmesiera at gmail.com wrote:
> How do you start building a desktop application in python? I mean
> where do I start? Besides installing python on your windows what else
> do I need, and any suggestion on how do I accomplish this project.
>
> Right now I really want to finish this beauty pageant judging system
> which requires to have a client and a server, client would be for the
> judges and a server that computes the scores from all the categories,
> (i do hope you get I want mean by that project). I just finished
> reading Headfirst Python and I really loving this language, so any
> help from all the great programmers here would be so great.

Usually one starts by picking a GUI toolkit, of which there are several.
 For example, there's the famous and very nice Qt toolkit (use PyQt or
PySide[1] in Python), there's GTK+ (PyGObject[2]), wxWidgets (wxPython),
Tkinter[3], or Kivy[4].  Of these, Tkinter is baked into Python and
could be a quick way to get started.  Kivy is also very interesting and
potentially can target other platforms like Android.  Personally I
prefer Qt right now.  Many of these toolkits contain tools for
graphically laying out a GUI, although doing layout in code is actually
pretty easy.

Another good option, given your project's architecture, is to build a
frontend that works in the browser. There are numerous web application
frameworks to choose from as well, varying in complexity.

Either way you cut it, you will find a bit of a learning curve, and if
you haven't done GUI development in any language before, there's some
new concepts to understand, like event-driven programming.

Hope this helps. If you search the list archives, you can find many
discussions on what toolkits people like to use and why.

Example links, you can google for many others:
[1] https://wiki.qt.io/PySideDocumentation

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/enlightenment/pyside-tutorial-using-qt-designer-with-pyside-66012
    https://wiki.qt.io/PySide_Video_Tutorials

[2] https://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/