Creating PST files using Python

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Nov 3 19:10:23 EST 2015

On 04Nov2015 09:12, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 6:09 AM, Anthony Papillion
><anthony at cajuntechie.org> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a module that allows the wiring of Outlook PST files using Python? I'm working on a project that will require me to migrate 60gb of maildir mail (multiple accounts) to Outlook.
>
>*wince*
>
>I don't, but if there is such a thing, it'll probably be mentioned here:
>https://pypi.python.org
>
>But be careful. My gut feeling is that the format will be different in
>every version of Outlook, so you'll need something exactly matching
>it.

Microsoft have a page here:

  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff385210%28v=office.12%29.aspx

which purports to document the PST format. There are links to the document
sections and also to PDFs.

It seems to be a simple and understandable format of a mere 190 pages. Yes, I
am joking, though not about the page count; it seems like an obscene and
totally nuts way to store email. IIRC, M$ LookOut! doesn't even use
Message-IDs, but some proprietry scheme.

>Since you're migrating your mail *to* Outlook, I'd look for some means
>of importing mail. Worst case, you could create a bunch of files in
>the maildir layout,

The OP has these I think.

>spin up an off-the-shelf POP3 server, and tell
>Outlook to read it all.
>
>Personally, though, I'd refuse the job altogether. Creating a 60GB
>blob of mail is going to cause nothing but pain. That might even be
>beyond Outlook's current hard limit - I don't know. Bad, bad idea.

It is a very strange request. But very corporate/government in mindset.

Alas, I cannot help to the with any tools or module for his task.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Microsoft Mail: as far from RFC-822 as you can get and still pretend to care.
        - Abby Franquemont-Guillory <abbyfg at tezcat.com>