Pep 484 Type Hint Checker - Python releases supported?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 28 18:26:30 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Zachary Ware
<zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I believe I heard that the PEP 484 type checker is to go into CPython 3.5.
>>
>> Since type annotations have been there since 3.0, is it at all likely
>> that CPython versions < 3.5 will also be supported by this checker?
>
> All that's going into 3.5 is the typing.py module, which will also be
> distributed on PyPI.  The actual type checking is being left to
> third-party tools like MyPy (which was the basis for the typing.py
> module).
>
> I'm not sure if there is any plan to ever include an actual type
> checker with the base Python distribution.

And MyPy is quite capable of probing code that belongs on older
interpreters than 3.5 (obviously, since it already exists); it even
has some measure of support for probing Py2 code, although you do need
to have a Python 3.2+ to actually run MyPy on.

ChrisA