Ah Python, you have spoiled me for all other languages

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sun May 24 03:22:23 EDT 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Tim Chase
>> <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>>> A self-signed certificate may be of minimal worth the *first* time you
>>> visit a site, but if you return to the site, that initial
>>> certificate's signature can be used to confirm that you're talking to
>>> the same site you talked to previously.  This is particularly
>>> valuable on a laptop where you make initial contact over a (I
>>> hesitate to say "more secure") less hostile connection through your
>>> home ISP.  Then, when you're out at the library, coffee-shop, or some
>>> hacker convention on their wifi, it's possible to determine whether
>>> you're securely connecting to the *same* site, or whether an attempt
>>> is being made to MitM because the cert changed.
>>
>> You can get the exact same benefit (knowing when the cert changes)
>> with an externally-signed cert too. How many people actually bother to
>> check?
>
> Except that you won't be notified automatically.  A MitM attack nowadays
> most often uses a valid certificate signed by a recognized (though
> untrustworthy) CA.  Thus with a self-signed cert that you've previously
> accepted, you'll immediate know of the MitM attack.

I fail to see how this is the case. If a new certificate is suddenly
provided, why should the status of the *previous* certificate have
anything to do with whether the browser automatically notifies you? A
change from a self-signed certificate to a CA certificate likely just
means that the site has upgraded its certificate, not that a MitM
attack is underway.