Ah Python, you have spoiled me for all other languages

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Sat May 23 02:55:10 EDT 2015

On 23.05.2015 05:31, Michael Torrie wrote:

> Sigh. I blame this as much on the browser.  There's no inherent reason
> why a connection to a site secured with a self-signed certificate is
> insecure.

The problem is *not* that the certificate is self-signed.

It's that it's unknown previously to being encountered within the TLS
handshake. And that *does* make it inherently insecure.

Not algorithmically, obviously.  I can still do a DH-handshake with the
remote peer that will generate a shared secret no eavesdropper will
know. The browser just can't be sure that whoever it negotiated the DH
with is really the endpoint (i.e. the webserver). That is the problem.

I dislike CAs as much as the next guy. But the problem of distributing
trust is just not easy to solve, a TTP is a way out. Do you have an
alternative that does not at the same time to providing a solution also
opens up obvious attack surface?

Cheers,
Johannes

> Zumindest nicht öffentlich!