Camelot a good tool for me

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Fri May 22 09:03:00 EDT 2015

I don't know anything about Camelot.  Tkinter produces widgets that are
in no way as pretty graphically as is expected nowadays -- or indeed for
at least 15 years.  If this matters to you -- or if you are building for
customers if it matters to them, then Tkinter is not a good choice.

Widget libraries are more different than they are similar. So while
learning one can give you some very basic ideas about how widgets work,
and what a callback is, etc -- it doesn't smooth the learning curve
for learning what it is you eventually want to use all that much.
If you already know where you are heading for, then I would just start
learning that.

That said, most of the code I write for me, has, for the longest time
used Tkinter.  I don't care all that much about the ugliness, and I
can write them quite quickly.  How much this has to do with Tkinter
programs being smaller than similar programs in other systems -- some
gui toolkits are _really_ _really_ verbose -- and how
much this has to do with the fact that I am familar with Tkinter I do
not know.

A final concern is where would you like to run these programs when you
are done writing them.  These days, I want most of the new things I
write for me to run on my 7 inch android tablet, and Tkinter doesn't
run there.  About 6 months ago I started learning kivy and am
using this for widgets now -- and converting some of my old programs
to use kivy. Kivy works with both Python 2 and Python 3, runs on
the desktop as well as in mobile devices, and produces the prettiest
widgets you could ask for.  It's under active development, and comes
with a huge directory of examples showing how to use the various
widgets.

So if you are still shopping for a widget kit, it is worth a look.

Laura