Camelot a good tool for me

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri May 22 09:02:25 EDT 2015

Dan Sommers <dan at tombstonezero.net> writes:

> On Fri, 22 May 2015 09:59:02 +0200, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
> > Would Camelot be a good tool to get me started, or can I better bite
> > the bullet and just start with Tkinter and SQLAlchemy?
>
> Bite the bullet and learn SQL.

Good advice in the long term. However, one can't learn *everything* at
once.

Cecil, use SQLAlchemy and you will have a firm foundation that will not
hold you back from learning SQL at some future point; on the other hand,
you will be using a library that makes it *much* more sensible to work
with database structures and queries from yuor Python code.

The same is not necessarily true of a lot of database APIs; they will
frequently simplify to the point of obscuring your understanding of the
database, and learning SQL later is hindered to that extent. SQLAlchemy,
though, does not have that problem.

> SQLAlchemy -> Database :: Python -> Assembly Language.

I think you're making my point for me :-)

--
 \       “Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion |
  `\              is answers that may never be questioned.” —anonymous |