Trying to build Python

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri May 15 12:37:34 EDT 2015

On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 10:40:14 AM UTC-4, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> Op Friday 15 May 2015 13:16 CEST schreef Chris Angelico:

> >> $ aptitude build-dep python3
> >>
> >> should fetch the requirements of python3
>
> It should, but it did not. I had to install tcl-dev and tk-dev and
> then still got the above missing dependencies.

Just to be clear: "build-dep python3" will install the minimum
requirements to build Python.  This worked for you: as you
described, your first build succeeded: it produced an
executable "python".

A few of the more exotic modules that need OS-level support
are built only if the OS support is present.  This is the
message you got at the end of the build.

> > And if not, try grabbing some development libraries:
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get install libbz2-dev libsqlite3-dev libreadline-dev
> > libssl-dev libgdbm-dev
>
> That did the trick. :-D

And this is how you install those other libraries to get
those modules built! :)

--Ned.