pip grabs tar.gz file instead of whl?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 15 09:04:19 EDT 2015

I was fed up with trying to install from pypi to Windows.  Setup.py more
often than not wouldn't be able to find the VS compiler. So I thought
I'd try the direct route to the excellent Christoph Gohlke site at
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ which is all whl files these
days.  However as you can see below despite my best efforts I'm still
processing the tar.gz file, so what am I doing wrong?

C:\Users\Mark\Documents\MyPython>pip install --no-cache-dir
--trusted-host http://www.lfd.uci.edu/ -U -f
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ numba
Collecting numba
   This repository located at www.lfd.uci.edu is not a trusted host, if
this repository is available via HTTPS it is recommend to use HTTPS
instead, otherwise you may silence this warning with '--trusted-host
www.lfd.uci.edu'.
   DEPRECATION: Implicitly allowing locations which are not hosted at a
secure origin is deprecated and will require the use of --trusted-host
in the future.
   Downloading numba-0.18.2.tar.gz (507kB)

I'm aware of the work around, download the file, then install the local
copy, but that's a whole extra step :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence