Building CPython

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Wed May 13 15:36:34 EDT 2015

I'm interested in playing with the CPython sources. I need to be able to
build under Windows, but don't want to use make files (which rarely work
properly), nor do a 6GB installation of Visual Studio Express which is
what seems to be needed (I'm hopeless with complicated IDEs anyway).

Is it possible to do this by using mingw-gcc to compile the .c files of
the Python sources one by one, or is it one of those complicated
projects where some of the source is generated as it goes along?

I thought I'd start with the source file containing Py_Main and continue
from there, but some modules compile and some don't, obscure errors that
I don't want to investigate unless it's going to be worthwhile (ie.
eventually ending up with a python.exe that can run simple .py programs).

--
Bartc