Updating a package on PyPi, testing and etiquette

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at technologyhighland.invalid
Tue May 12 19:54:42 EDT 2015

On Wed, 13 May 2015 08:35:02 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> Rob Gaddi <rgaddi at technologyhighland.invalid> writes:
>
>> B) If I can't manage that, what's the etiquette behind having later
>> versions of a module break compatibility with older versions of Python.
>
> Consult your user community, tell them the issue (maintaining obsolete
> Python versions is a lot of effort), and incrementally drop support with
> subsequent versions. Give your user community a chance to upgrade their
> stuff, but also don't take on an unreasonable burden. Involve them in
> the process.

The only user community that I know about for this is three people, all
of whom have desks within 50 feet of mine, and all of whom have sworn a
solemn vow to do all of the actual development we care about under Python
3.4 or higher.  I just noted that there were a bunch of downloads from
John Q. Internet, and didn't know how poor of form breaking ancient
compatibility was seen as.  The answer, at least here on c.l.p, seems to
be "not particularly".