anomaly

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon May 11 11:55:45 EDT 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015 12:23 am, zipher wrote:

> On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 1:11:26 AM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Monday 11 May 2015 10:57, zipher wrote:
>> > I guess everyone expects this behavior since Python implemented this
>> > idea of "everything is an object", but I think this branch of OOP (on
>> > the
>> > branch of the Tree of Programming Languages) has to be chopped off.
>> > The idea of everything is an object is backwards (unless your in a LISP
>> > machine).  Like I say, it's trying to be too pure and not practical.
>>
>> Python is in production use in hundreds of thousands of organisations. It
>> has been heavily used for over twenty years, in everything from quick and
>> dirty one line scripts to hundred-thousand LOC applications.
>
> Yeah, so was COBOL.  Boom.

So *is* COBOL. (Except for the one-line scripts part.)

COBOL is nearly as old as Fortran, half a century old, and reports of its
death are grossly exaggerated. It might not be a nice language, or a
particularly modern language (even though it now has OOP features!) but,
like the cockroach, it's hard to kill.

It's a running gag in IT circles that "the imminent death of COBOL" is
predicted every year, and will continue to be predicted every year well
into the 2100s.

--
Steven