Python 3 success story

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Mar 31 02:06:30 EDT 2015

On 3/30/2015 8:24 PM, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:28:16 -0400, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>
> wrote:

>> So I suggested going ahead and testing PyBrain by using it.  This
>> appears to have worked out well. I believe the only 2-3 issue she ran
>> into was a '/' that needed to become '//', that either 2to3 or I missed
>> in the initial conversion.
>
> This is good news, Terry. Have you considered requesting a fork from
> the authors?

I considered and rejected the idea at the time because a) I was more
than busy supervising a GSOC project and b) to work on it seriously, I
would want to ditch doctest (which was not meant for serious unit
testing) and convert to using unittest for both 2.7 and 3.x.

 > And if you don't get the required attention, just fork it
> yourself? Even if you don't plan to maintain it, it would be nice to
> have it available for someone else to do it.

Now that the port has been used for some months, I a) can see that
making it available might be helpful to others, and b) would feel more
comfortable doing so on an as is, use at your own risk, basis (and
possibly even accept and apply patches).

> A quick look at the GitHub pages reveals the project has pretty much
> stalled. Although it could be it achieved a good enough stable status,
> this is a machine learning project and those tend to always require
> constant work.

Not knowing git and github adds a barrier, but thanks for the suggestion.

--
Terry Jan Reedy