Python 3 lack of support for fcgi/wsgi.

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Mar 29 22:28:25 EDT 2015

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:

> CPAN, the Perl module archive, has some curation and testing. PyPi
> lacks that, which is how we end up with situations like this, where
> there are 11 ways to do something, most of which don't work.

That is a valid criticism of PyPI, and more broadly of the Python
distribution ecosystem. (Uncritical fanatics would deny that, but I'm
not one.)

You're quite right that Python's third-party library distribution
landscape lags behind that for some other platforms. There has been a
great deal of progress in recent years, but contrariwise the progress is
in fixing a legacy backlog of terrible third-party distribution support.

    <URL:http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/pep_ideas/core_packaging_api.html#incremental-plans-to-improve-python-packaging>

This is true for code targetting Python 2 as much, if not more so, as of
code targetting Python 3. So I'll thank you to direct the frustration
where it belongs: at the state of distribution support, which is not a
special Python 3 problem but is common to all versions of Python.

> Incidentally, in my last report, I reported problems with BS4,
> PyMySQL, and Pickle. I now have workarounds for all of those, but not
> fixes. The bug reports I listed last time contain the workaround code.

Thanks for your persistence. It is good to know progress can be made by
focussing on problems where they are.

--
 \      “I am too firm in my consciousness of the marvelous to be ever |
  `\       fascinated by the mere supernatural …” —Joseph Conrad, _The |