pycurl.error: (55, 'select/poll returned error')

Nagy László Zsolt gandalf at shopzeus.com
Sun Mar 29 03:12:28 EDT 2015

2015.03.28. 7:43 keltezéssel, dieter írta:
> Nagy László Zsolt <gandalf at shopzeus.com> writes:
>
>> When calling  curl.perform() on a curl instance I get this:
>>
>> pycurl.error: (55, 'select/poll returned error')
>> This error happens only if the file to be POST-ed is big enough. Last
>> week files were under 1GB and everything went fine. Files above about
>> 1GB cannot be sent over with curl.
> Web services sometimes have limits about the allowed size of uploaded
> files. I know about one web server application framework (Zope/ZServer)
> that simply shuts down its communication channel when it receives
> a too large file - such a behaviour can confuse the client.
> Maybe, in your case, the server side, too, does something unexpected
> when it receives large files?
The same server is happily accepting files over 4GB from other clients.
Those other clients are exactly the same client programs, but they are
running on Windows. Only the one on this FreeBSD box is throwing the error.

> "select/poll" by itself has nothing to do with the size of files.
> It is used to get informed when one out a set of communication channels
> is ready (again) for interaction. In principle, it should not fail --
> unless something strange happens to the communication channels.
Yes, I know... But somehow this is related to the file size, because
small files are going through.

believed to be clean.