Supply condition in function call

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 05:19:38 EDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Larry Hudson <orgnut at yahoo.com>:
>
>> Highlight the selection you want copied, move the mouse cursor to the
>> location you want it copied to and middle-click with the mouse. Works
>> between programs as well as within a single program. And it copies
>> directly without going through the clipboard.

As I understand it, the primary selection and the clipboard selection
both work the same way under the hood: a client that wishes to paste
the selection requests it from the client that owns it. The clipboard
selection may be called "the clipboard" but it does not refer to an
OS-level buffer as in Windows.

> Unfortunately, Linux nowadays employs both schemes. They just couldn't
> resist the lure of the clipboard.

For good reason. Anything that can only be done with a mouse is not accessible.

I've never been a fan of the primary selection style anyway. Copying
text is conceptually an action. Selecting text is how one indicates
the target of an action; conceptually it is not an action itself and
shouldn't cause an action to be performed. It leads to muddled
processes like "highlight this text, paste it there, highlight that
text, delete it, paste in the replacement text from before -- oops, I
accidentally pasted back in the text that I just deleted instead."