[OT] Weaknesses of distro package managers - was Re: Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 11:03:42 EDT 2015

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:59:01 +0100, Mario Figueiredo
<marfig at gmail.com> wrote:

>Ah. So you are on the Python 3 unicode support sucks bandwagon too?
>
>Bet you guys have a whole lot of fun there. Rave parties, trashing,
>getting mad at something. Sounds fun.
>
>Over here, on the Python 3 unicode support is just fine bandwagon, we
>aren't so lucky. Things are just going smoothly, so they don't let us
>party. We spend most of our time writting applications that don't
>crash at runtime on the user hands because Python 3 is not permissive
>and does force us to write well-formed encoding protocols.
>
>Many times I though jumping to your side. Like I said, it sounds more
>fun. But really, wife and kids need to eat.

Forgot to mention:

At first it was crap. We couldn't really understand what the hell was
going on. WTF? We need to write more code now!? Screw this! We even
wrote a banner at the office: "Byte this Python 3!"

But we eventually, you know, adapted and shit. We just grew out of it.
Like I said, wife and kids need to eat.