[OT] Weaknesses of distro package managers - was Re: Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 18:37:03 EDT 2015

On 03/19/2015 04:16 PM, John Nagle wrote:
> On 3/16/2015 6:46 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> Since Python 3's adoption is directly impacted by package managers and
>> curated repos (or lack thereof), I feel justified in continuing this
>> thread just a bit farther.
>
>    Since denying the problem didn't work, change the subject to
> allow blaming someone else.
>
>    This is like dealing with an alcoholic.

I can't speak for others, but I certainly never denied your problems. I
can say that I changed the subject because I was taking that part of the
conversation off topic to another related but different subject that I
thought was of interest to some (and it was).  I'm sorry you feel
slighted by this diversion.

As to the issue of "denying your problems," certainly as distros catch
up, a lot more pressure to fix bugs and get libraries ported is
generated, and resources given to the endeavor by the likes of
Canonical, Red Hat and others.