Auto-completion of Unicode names [was why not module name?]

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Tue Mar 17 21:07:24 EDT 2015

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:29:53 +1100, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Speaking of tab completion, would anyone be interested in being able
> to auto-complete \N{...} unicode character names? I'm considering that
> as an enhancement to my tabhistory module.

Only if it's fuzzy.  One use case is that "opening curly quote"
character, except that I don't remember that it's actually a "left
double quotation mark."  Once I type "open," or "quot," no amount of
ordinary left-to-right / startswith completion will help me.  And if I
have to look it up somewhere, then I can probably just copy/paste an
actual character or a U+XXXX code once I find it.

> Python supports \N{...} backslash escapes in Unicode strings, so we
> can write things like:
>
> py> print(u"\N{CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER ZE WITH DESCENDER}")

Or I can just enter Ҙ directly using my OS' preferred input method(s),
which is in all likelihood easier and more familiar and comfortable¹ for
someone who has a need for a Ҙ in the first place.  (I am not one of
those people; I just copied and pasted the Ҙ that you provided.)

> There are currently somewhere in the vicinity of 110 thousand such
> names.

I think you just made my point about the completion being fuzzy.  ;-)

Dan

¹ Okay, so that's just an *opinion*.