Auto-completion of Unicode names [was why not module name?]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 20:06:19 EDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> Speaking of tab completion, would anyone be interested in being able to
> auto-complete \N{...} unicode character names? I'm considering that as an
> enhancement to my tabhistory module.
>
> Python supports \N{...} backslash escapes in Unicode strings, so we can
> write things like:
>
> py> print(u"\N{CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER ZE WITH DESCENDER}")
>

> There are currently somewhere in the vicinity of 110 thousand such names.

Not from me, no. I don't usually use \N escapes - it's usually easiest
to do an external search to figure out the code point, and then either
paste in the character itself (assuming it's not a combining
character, or whitespace, or something, where the loss of clarity
would be a problem), or just use a \u or \U escape. If I knew the
names perfectly, then I might use \N escapes, but even with tab
completion, they'd be quite slow to key in.

How many people actually use \N escapes and hand-enter them?

ChrisA