You must register a new account to report a bug (was: Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain)

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 02:38:31 EDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Sadly becoming the norm. People will run a software project and just
> assume that users will be willing to go through a registration process
> for every project just to report a bug.

Registering for github is a lot easier than creating a reproducible
test case. I agree that we should minimize friction, but friction will
always exist. In GitHub's case, the additional friction is amortized
over all github projects (and there are lots of those).

Other things that can make bug reporting frustrating:

* Slow triage / ignored bug reports
* Automated bug report handling (closing all extant bugs every N months)
* Passive-aggressively requiring hours of work to create an isolated
  system (e.g. brand new install of Ubuntu) before bug reports are
  accepted.
* Dismissing bug reports as "WAI" without explanation, or with poor explanation
  ("we talked about this and decided we disagree")
* Dismissing bugs as not worth fixing
* Passing the buck ("This is a bug in XYlib, WAI")
* Insulting bug reporters

IMO registration is not nearly as big a deal as the others. If nothing
else, because it's a one-time cost per project at most, whereas all
the other issues (potentially) rear their head with every single bug
report.

-- Devin