You must register a new account to report a bug (was: Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 16 02:17:44 EDT 2015

Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> writes:

> To quote Graham Dumpleton:
>
>  For years have seen people make vague grumbles about something not
> working with mod_wsgi. Not one ever reported bug or described problem.

Hmm. How easy is it for someone who, say, an hour ago had no idea they
would ever want to contact Graham Dumpleton; and then encounters a
problem with mod_wsgi?

* Searching for ‘mod_wsgi’ leads to a GitHub page. Want to submit a
  one-off bug report? Too bad, you have to sign up with yet another
  service.

  No email address is provided for reporting bugs. The person named is
  Graham Dumpleton; no email address for him is provided.

* If you're persistent enough to contact Graham Dumpleton directly
  outside the context of the ‘mod_wsgi’ project, what does that get you?

  Searching “Graham Dumpleton” on the web gets a bunch of inconclusive
  hits.

  He has a Twitter account. Want to send him a single bug report? Too
  bad, you'd have to sign up for yet another service (Twitter).

  He has a weblog, at Blogger. It gives a specific profile for him. With
  no email address. Want to send a one-off bug report there? Too bad,
  there's no contact information given.

* Are there other ways to report a bug? I can't find them, and I
  searched for rather longer than someone would be who just wants to
  describe the problem.

I am unsurprised that people don't end up reporting bugs; there's no
simple way to do it. No wonder Graham Dumpleton finds a lot of people
grumbling and not reporting bugs.

>  Sadly becoming the norm. People will just whinge and complain but
> never actually report issues in Open Source.

Sadly becoming the norm. People will run a software project and just
assume that users will be willing to go through a registration process
for every project just to report a bug.

--
 \      “[Entrenched media corporations will] maintain the status quo, |
  `\       or die trying. Either is better than actually WORKING for a |