Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Mar 15 19:43:38 EDT 2015

In article <am4cga9sn16m74v1952gnfq5u443mkk9l1 at 4ax.com>,
 Mario Figueiredo <marfig at gmail.com> wrote:

> What makes you think your anedoctal bugs constitute any sort of
> evidence this programming language isn't ready to be used by the
> public?

There's several levels of "ready".

I'm sure the core language is more than ready for production use for a
project starting from scratch which doesn't rely on any third party
libraries.

The next step up on the "ready" ladder would be a new project which will
require third-party libraries.  And that pretty much means any
non-trivial project.  I'm reasonably confident that most common use
cases can now be covered by p3-ready third party modules.  Perhaps there
will be fewer choices of which implementation to go with for some
things, but at this point, I'd be surprised if you'd get stuck because
all the third party modules out there which do something you want are p2
only.

The big problem continues to be the legacy projects.  People made
decisions years ago about what packages to use, and those decisions are
hard to get away from.  There is a lot of production code out there
which still uses third-party packages that are effectively abandonware
by now.  But the code still runs, and there's little incentive to mess
with it.  Rather than migrate to p3, it's more likely those systems will
continue to run for years to run on p2, until eventually somebody turns
out the lights.