Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 19:23:32 EDT 2015

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:05:21 -0700, John Nagle <nagle at animats.com>
wrote:

>On 3/14/2015 1:00 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
>    Some of the bugs I listed are so easy to hit that I suspect those
>packages aren't used much.  Those bugs should have been found years
>ago.  Fixed, even.  I shouldn't be discovering them in 2015.
>
>    I appreciate all the effort put in by developers in fixing these
>problems.  Python 3 is still a long way from being ready for prime
>time, though.

What do you mean a long way? Is this a scaremongering tactic? Some
little FUD to poison the minds of anyone thinking moving to Python 3?
Or you just chose your words poorly?

Because 3rd-party packages don't define whether the language is ready
for production or not and the bugs you found on the standard library
shouldn't be much different from other bugs found onPython 2 during
Python 2 prime time.

What makes you think your anedoctal bugs constitute any sort of
evidence this programming language isn't ready to be used by the
public?