(Still OT) Nationalism, language and monoculture [was Re: Python Worst Practices]

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri Mar 6 05:03:31 EST 2015

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> I really dont understand what we are communicating (or not) about...
>
> Can you hear my accent?

If we met at a Python conference, I would hear it and hopefully even
understand it.

> But more to the point its still not clear (to me) whether you are objecting to
> - to Mark
> - to British accent
> - to British spellings in software
> - to anyone/anywhere international, using non-international format

I'm objecting (mildly) to British spellings in source code and technical
documentation.

I'm objecting (more strongly) to local English accents in settings
including but not limited to:

 - conference speeches with international audiences

 - group discussions with international participants

 - teleconferences with international participants

In my experience, it is harder to understand most British English
accents than, say, a run-of-the-mill Chinese engineer trying to speak
English. It has to do with pronunciation, speed and eloquence (too much
of it with native speakers).

Marko