Python Worst Practices

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 17:21:00 EST 2015

On 2015-03-02, sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com <sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 9:13:21 AM UTC-8, Jon Ribbens wrote:
>> On 2015-03-02, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> > 	A pub's a bar; a bar's a gate; a gate's a street
>>
>> If each of those is supposed to be English first and then the American
>> equivalent second, then I'm afraid the first one is misleading and the
>> other two are just nonsense.
>
> American here.  To me, a pub and a bar are different, but similar.
>
> A bar is where people go to get drinks.  They might serve food, but
> rarely does anybody actually order some.  A pub on the other hand,
> has a greater focus on food and is commonly visited to get food
> along with their beer.
>
> Of course, I imagine plenty of fellow Americans would disagree with me.

The distinction is nuanced and not well defined, but most British
people would think your definition above is certainly not entirely
wrong. They're definitely both places primarily for alcohol but
which may serve other purposes. If there's more wood and brass it's
probably a pub; if there's more glass and chrome and coloured lighting
it's probably a bar.