Do I need license to release the Python version of old BASIC games?

C.D. Reimer chris at cdreimer.com
Sun Jun 21 15:32:46 EDT 2015

Greetings,

I'm in the process of converting 101 old BASIC games into Python (see
link below).

http://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/

The short term goal is to learn the finer aspects of the Python language
and reliving my misbegotten past on the Commodore 64. The long term goal
is to use the completed project as part of a programming portfolio, as
many of my past I.T. jobs have required no programming and my current
job requires some PowerShell scripting (meh).

Many of these BASIC games floated around the university computer labs
and DEC for years before being published in Creative Computing magazine
and into book form in 1978. My Python scripts are faithful to the video
output as listed in the book, but underlying code is vastly different
than the BASIC code.

Do I need to release my scripts under a license? If so, which one?

Thanks,

Chris R.