Python Questions - July 25, 2015

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Sun Jul 26 10:30:12 EDT 2015

On 26/07/2015 14:07, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:49 PM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>
>> And is there anything I've done wrong above? (Apart from trying to use
>> Windows.)
>
> Not sure about done *wrong*, per se, but there's something that you
> didn't mention doing: search the web for "numpy windows", which
> brought me to this page:
>
> http://www.scipy.org/install.html

I saw that but it was about installing the SciPy Stack, whatever that
is. The only mention of numpy there is to do with linux systems, except
for a link near the end which takes me to that same Sourceforge site.

> The recommendation there is to grab a prepackaged Python like
> Anaconda. I haven't tried it myself (never needed numpy on Windows)
> but it does seem to be the easiest way to go about it.

OK, I've done that now, and it works, thanks. Now 'import numpy' doesn't
report an error.

(But Christ, it's massive! A 0.3GB download that took ages to install,
and occupied 1.3GB on disk (32000 files), about 20-40 times as big as a
normal Python install. It was also Python 2.7, which I didn't notice
until it was too late. Presumably I must have clicked the wrong button
at some point. I dread think how big a Python 3.x version might be!)

--
Bartc