Python Questions - July 25, 2015

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 26 10:22:25 EDT 2015

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 10:49 pm, BartC wrote:

> How do you actually install Numpy in Windows?

Are you installing from source, or a pre-built binary?

To install from source, you need a C or Fortran compiler, and a bunch of
extra libraries (I think BLAS is one of them?).

> I had a go a month or two ago and couldn't get anywhere.
>
> I realise that this is something that apparently no-one else on the
> planet has no problem with except me, but nevertheless it would be
> interesting to know exactly how it's done.

No, it's not just you.

> I've just at numpy.org, they direct me to scipy.org, which talks about
> sources and binaries at sourceforge.

Well, did you read what they said?

Paragraph two:

"For most users, especially on Windows and Mac, the easiest way to install
the packages of the SciPy stack is to download one of these Python
distributions, which includes all the key packages: ..."

> The only thing on offer there is numpy-1.9.2.zip, which I duly download
> and install onto my machine.

The sourceforge UI is rubbish.

Ignore the link to the zip file at the top of the page, and click into the
version number you want. Presumably you want the latest version. Click
through to here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.9.2/

Look ma, pre-built installers for Windows!

--
Steven