Gmail eats Python

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Jul 26 04:20:56 EDT 2015

On 25Jul2015 22:43, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jul 25, 2015 4:51 PM, "Ben Finney" <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> writes:
>> > So it was my fault by sending him a reply with >>> to the far left.
>>
>> No, it was Google Mail's failt for messing with the content of the
>> message.

Specificly, by manking the text without leave(*).

>What Internet standard is being violated by reflowing text content in
>the message body?

RFC3676: http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?doc=3676
See also: http://joeclark.org/ffaq.html

There is a variant on plain old text/plain, namely the format= parameter.
(This message is using it.) If you set it to format=flowed then the user agent
is allowed to reflow te text to fit the display width. It also specifies a
tighter interpretation of the quoted-message indentation markers (i.e. the
">>>") allow for reflow of the quoted material as well.

>I'm also skeptical that this was caused by Gmail, which I've never
>seen do this and did not do this when I tried to repro it just now.
>Also, unless I'm misinterpreting the headers of the message in
>question, it appears to have been sent via Gmane, not Gmail.

Who knows if it was caused by GMail. Hard to tell at this point.

(*) However, it does look like something may have treated a plain text message
as plain text in format=flowed form.

Or perhaps some user agent has just gone rogue.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

in rec.moto, jsh wrote:
> Dan Nitschke wrote:
> > Ged Martin wrote:
> > > On Sat, 17 May 1997 16:53:33 +0000, Dan Nitschke scribbled:
> > > Yeah, yeah, that's what you're saying in _public_....
> > Feh. You know nothing of my dreams. I dream entirely in text (New Century
> > Schoolbook bold oblique 14 point), and never in color. I once dreamed I
> > was walking down a flowchart of my own code, and a waterfall of semicolons
> > was chasing me. (I hid behind a global variable until they went by.)
> You write code in a proportional serif? No wonder you got extra
> semicolons falling all over the place.
No, I *dream* about writing code in a proportional serif font.
It's much more exciting than my real life.
/* dan: THE Anti-Ged -- Ignorant Yank (tm) #1, none-%er #7 */
Dan Nitschke  peDANtic at best.com  nitschke at redbrick.com