Gmail eats Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 02:25:20 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well Almost.
> Emacs used to stand for "Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping"
> At a time when 8 MB was large. Is it today?
> So let me ask you:
> Do you not use ½ dozen (at least) languages?
> And their interpreters (when they exist)
> And their ancilliary tools (make autoconf etc)
> And do you not type plain text?
> Emails?
> PIM (reminders, timesheets and planning)
> Docs (more fancy than plain text, maybe libreoffice/MS/latex...)
> Lilypond?
> Use, experiment, play-around with (non-ASCII) unicode?
>
> If you have one app to do them all, I'd like (and pay!) for it
> If not I bet they are mutually inconsistent.

For the most part, I use a single text editor. But all their ancillary
tools are separate. Emacs tries to be absolutely everything, not just
editing text files; that's why it's big. Size isn't just a matter of
disk or RAM footprint, it's also (and much more importantly) UI
complexity.

It's a trade-off, of course. If you constantly have to switch programs
to do your work, that's a different form of UI complexity.

ChrisA