on keeping things civil (was: Encoding of Python 2 string literals)

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jul 23 04:41:02 EDT 2015

On 22Jul2015 22:26, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>He refuses point blank to contribute to core python because he will not sign the CLA.

So? That's his prerogative. There's plenty of work I won't undertake because of
the conditions attached. Defense/military comes to mind as an example.

>Oh, and please do not tell me to back off.  It has been show in recent
>days that despite my problems I have contributed to core Python.
>Anatoly will contribute to any project, but on his terms, and his
>terms only.

Shrug. I'm the same, and I suspect in real terms so are you. It is just where
the boundaries lie that differ.

He asked a simple, direct, on topic, relevant, clear question, with a clear use
case. As far as I'm concerned he's entirely welcome, and I'm glad he's received
what look like informative and somewhat helpful responses. (With the notable
exception of your response and now, regrettably, mine.)

If you don't want to deal with him, then don't deal with him. That means
shutting up, not mouthing off.

On a personal basis, I have found the best way to keep discussions civil and on
point is to simply ignore posts and posters which incite anger in me. I urge
you to consider this approach.

Venting, I remain,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>