Can I copy/paste Python code?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 18:36:43 EDT 2015

On 07/21/2015 03:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I'm trying to switch from acroread to evince, bit it has a few serious
> usability problems for me:
>
>  1) You can't copy/paste text from evince _at_all_.  At least it works
>     right most of the time with acroread.  I really like being able
>     paste example commands or bits of code or a sentance or three from
>     PDF docs into a shell or editor window.  Pasting tables is a bit
>     more work, but it can at least be done with acroread.
>
>  2) You can't print the current view.  I find that invaluable for
>     printing portions of documents (e.g. I want just a section of a C
>     size schematic printed on letter sized paper, or just one table
>     table from a manual sized to fill a 8.5x11 page).  If it did have
>     'print view' then lack of a marquee zoom would become another
>     inconvenience.
>
>  3) There's no way to collapse-all in the TOC panel.  When I open a
>     1200 page document with 30 sections and several hundred sections
>     and subsections, I don't want to see all of them all of the time.
>     Closing them one at a time by hand is pretty tedious.
>
> I find that about 20-30% of the time I start up evince, I end up
> closing it and re-opening the document in acroread.

Sounds like Evince has really gone down hill since I last used Gnome.  I
use Atril on Mate desktop and it works as well as Evince ever used to
for me, which is expected seeing as it was forked from Gnome 2 sources.
 I have never had any problems cutting and pasting text.  And you can
definitely close the TOC panel.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that Evince has lost capabilities.
 Seems to be the way Gnome apps are going these days.