Procedure for downloading and Installing Python 2.7 Modules

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 20 22:17:03 EDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:14 am, W. D. Allen wrote:

> Would like to locate and install numpy, scipy and matplotlib
> with Wing 101 for Python 2.7

Wing is an IDE, that is, a fancy editor. As far as I know, you shouldn't
have to take any special steps to get numpy etc. working with Wing, you
just install them in the usual fashion.

Do you need help with installing Python packages?

If you have pip installed, you can just type:

pip install numpy scipy matplotlib

from your *operating system* command prompt. Not the Python shell! On Linux,
you would open a terminal and you should see a prompt that ends with a $
sign. On Windows, you run cmd.exe or command.com or whatever it is called,
I forget. If you see a prompt >>> then you're in the Python shell and pip
won't work.

However, installing numpy and scipy from scratch like this is often
difficult on Windows, as you need access to a Fortran or C compiler. Many
people prefer to use a Python environment that has numpy etc. already
pre-installed. Start here:

https://courses.p2pu.org/he/groups/scientific-python/content/setting-up-a-scientific-python-environment/

Does this help? Feel free to reply to the group with any follow up
questions.

--
Steven