module dependencies issues

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Jul 9 16:36:38 EDT 2015

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> How do you expect the end result to work? Will it be that your code
> imports one version of a module, but other code imports another? You
> would have to rename one of them or something.

At work, we have created an analogous component system that has solved
this issue the way I think it should be solved.

Component B ver 1.1 must declare (ABI) backward-compatibility with B ver
1.0. That allows the component system to resolve such natural dependency
discrepancies in a safe manner.

The application (or component) C, which was created at B ver 1.0 time,
can't depend on >= B-1.0 because C has no way of knowing if, say, B-2.0
will be backward-compatible with B-1.0. The compatibility declaration
belongs to B.

Marko