understanding why there is no setup.py uninstall

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Jul 7 17:09:12 EDT 2015

In a message of Tue, 07 Jul 2015 22:31:04 +0200, c.buhtz at posteo.jp writes:
>On 2015-07-06 18:34 Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Part of the better system is that we have the Python Packaging
>> Authority <URL:http://pypa.io/> which didn't exist when Distutils was
>> designed. Read the documents there and I hope you'll be glad at the
>> improvement!
>
>Thank you very much for that explanation. I haven't read something like
>this before about that topic. Now it is much easier for me evaluate the
>different systems/possibilities for that task.

Know that the new thing on the block is wheels.
http://pythonwheels.com/

It's supposed to address the problems other systems have.  It's too new
for me to have an opinion.  But I have a serious opinion about
easy_install.  It never worked properly.  However, if you are about
to evaluate it ---

You may run into this problem.

Lots of messages like this:
(Because easy_install assumed you must have this, which isn't
true of a lot of  distributions)

   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools/sandbox.py", line 43,
   > in _execfile
   >       exec(code, globals, locals)
   >         File "/tmp/easy_install-PGpger/bioread-0.9.5/setup.py", line 3, in
   > <module>
   >         ImportError: No module named ez_setup

If you get this, then install this one.
   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ez_setup

(Just to save you some hassle if you collide with this problem in your
evaluations).

Laura