TypeError: 'OldSample' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

Hina Imran hinaimran.mehr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 04:37:20 EDT 2015

The data set looks something like this, The data is from openstack ceilometer python API

    [
     <OldSample
          {
            counter_name': cpu_util',
             user_id': 7b',
             resource_id': ef',
             timestamp': 2015-07-02T08:13:55',
             counter_volume': 0.774,
              resource_metadata':
                                {
                                 ramdisk_id': None',
                                 flavor.vcpus': 1',
                                  OS-EXT-AZ.availability_zone': nova',
                                  display_name': ubuntu-io',
                                  flavor.id': 596642d8-',
                                  status': active', ephemeral_gb': 0',
                                  flavor.name': m1.small.io',
                                  disk_gb': 20',
                                  kernel_id': None',
                                  image.id': 5776a360-',
                                  flavor.ram': 2048',
                                  host': host',
                                  flavor.ephemeral': 0',
                                   image.name': ubuntu-io',
                                   image_ref_url': http://b8dc',
                                   image.links':
                                                 [
                                                 {
                                                 'href': 'http://19',
                                                 'rel': 'bookmark'
                                                 }
                                                 ]",
                                                 cpu_number': 1',
                                                 flavor.disk': 20',
                                                 root_gb': 20',
                                                  name': instance-000000d3',
                                                  memory_mb': 2048',
                                                  instance_type': 596642d',
                                                  vcpus': 1', image_ref': 5776a36',
                                                  flavor.links':
                                                  [
                                                  {
                                                  'href': 'http://192.168.26.1',
                                                  'rel': 'bookmark'
                                                  }
                                                  ]"
                                                  },
                                                  source': openstack',
                                                  counter_unit': %',
                                                  recorded_at': 2015-07-02T08:13:55.485000',
                                                  project_id': 1670f',
                                                  message_id': 4849',
                                                  4counter_type': gauge'
                                                  }>]

My code looks something like this

    auth=v2.Password(auth_url="http://", username="user", password="pass", tenant_id='id')

    # Pubnub instance initilize

    sess = session.Session(auth=auth,verify=False)     #
    token = auth.get_token(sess)

    cclient = client.get_client(2, ceilometer_url="http:", token=token,verify=False)

    data = cclient.samples.list(meter_name ='cpu_util')

    thing = {}
    msg = {}
    cols = []

    def __unicode__(self):
      return unicode(self.data)

    for row in data:
        col = {}
        col['x'] = row['timestamp']
        col['y'] = row['counter_volume']
        cols.append(col)

    msg['columns'] = cols

    thing['message'] = msg

    print thing

    print json.dumps(thing)

My intended out out something like this

    message: {
          columns: [
            ["x": 123, "y": "456"],
            ["y": 0.045, "x": "2015-06-30T15:53:55"]
          ]
**here x is counter_volume and Y is timestamp**
I need the output in this way because I want to plug this data into EON pubnub Charting Library. Problem is that no matter what I do it keeps on throwing me errors.I guess I need to learn some more how to manipulate list of dictionaries.