Python is DOOMED! Again!

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 22 22:34:55 EST 2015

On 1/22/2015 7:40 PM, Sturla Molden wrote:
> On 22/01/15 21:03, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
>
>> That is fine. But then the problem isn't type hinting, is it? Neither I
>> think you are suggesting we don't introduce language because there are
>> bad project managers out there.
>>
>> The problem is then bad project managers. That has nothing to do with
>> type hinting, or Python for that matter.
>
> It has everything to do with Python if we facilitate them.
>
> Type hinting will be mandatory because of bad managers. But then someone
> is going to ask what benefit Python has to offer:
>
> Readabiliy? No ... down the drain.

Type hints can be put in separate stub files and will be put in separate
files for the stdlib.  If a client want to pay you to write type stubs,
and you cannot stand to do it for even for pay, I am sure you will be
able to subcontract the work.  I am sure someone will write python
probrams to make the process easier.

Many Pythonistas would be glad to see more work, not bitch about it.

Readability?  Unchanged (at least for your own code and much of the rest).

> Dynamic typing? No ... down the drain.

??? Python objects will still be dynamically typed.  For the present,
compilation will be completely uneffected.

Dynamic typing? unchanged.

> Speed? No ... still 200x slower than Swift.

Sturla, I *know* you must have heard of numpy?  cython?

--
Terry Jan Reedy