Python is DOOMED! Again!

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Thu Jan 22 20:14:54 EST 2015

On 1/22/2015 5:00 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Type hinting will be mandatory because of bad managers. But then someone is
>> going to ask what benefit Python has to offer:
>
> Type hinting will never be mandatory,

I'm sure it will be in some places, if only to the extent that PEP8
compliance is enforced.

> because bad managers are not in charge.

But coding standards may be, and in certain sized shops, should be.  So
as tools come of age, standards will be updated, and hinting will be
added and hence become required.

> You can't blame the language because you're *choosing* to

 >sigh< It's good to have choices.

Bottom line is that the decisions being made today about type hinting
will live on, so it's good to consider eventualities that are real.

Emile