What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Wed Jan 21 18:19:17 EST 2015

On 01/21/2015 04:35 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2015-01-21, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>> In 2009, Robert Martin gave a talk at RailsConf titled "What Killed
>>> Smalltalk Could Kill Ruby".
>>
>> But does he answer the more important question "and can we use it to
>> kill PHP?".
>
> PHP won't die so long as there are people willing to apologize for its
> every flaw and defend it on the basis that huge sites X, Y, and Z all
> use it. But we don't need it to die. All we need is for Python to
> live, and we can ignore PHP and write Unicode-aware web sites with
> simple, trustworthy entry points, and not worry about the rest.

To be fair, PHP has come a long way in the last few years and, I hear,
there's movements within the community to make it better. Namespaces
were a bit deal as were a few other things. Personally, while I am
LOVING Python, I'd be sad to see PHP die. It's got a lot of potential if
the community can get its crap together and take off the ruby coloured
glasses.

Anthony