What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 17:35:45 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2015-01-21, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> In 2009, Robert Martin gave a talk at RailsConf titled "What Killed
>> Smalltalk Could Kill Ruby".
>
> But does he answer the more important question "and can we use it to
> kill PHP?".

PHP won't die so long as there are people willing to apologize for its
every flaw and defend it on the basis that huge sites X, Y, and Z all
use it. But we don't need it to die. All we need is for Python to
live, and we can ignore PHP and write Unicode-aware web sites with
simple, trustworthy entry points, and not worry about the rest.

ChrisA