What killed Smalltalk could kill Python

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Jan 21 13:21:54 EST 2015

On 2015-01-22 03:34, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> In 2009, Robert Martin gave a talk at RailsConf titled "What Killed
> Smalltalk Could Kill Ruby".

Holy pacing, Batman.  Watching it at 2x leaves me wondering how much
of the stage was worn off during the presentation.

> And now it's all but dead. Why did it die, and how can Python (or
> Ruby for that matter) avoid the same fate?

In my experience, most Python has a particularly low WTF-per-minute
score.

But mostly Michael's reply addresses my biggest pain points the last
couple times I tried Smalltalk: The whole "images" thing impeded me
from easily using my development preferred environment.

With Python, I can just install it and then either fire up the
REPL, or type some code into a file and run it (same I suppose would
go for Ruby).

I fought for over an hour trying to figure out how to just get
ANYTHING to run in Smalltalk.  I installed Squeak on Debian and yet I
couldn't get any code examples to run.  I had to go find some
environments on the web, download them, modify them, and eventually
something ran.  Eventually I just gave up and returned to a world
where everything made sense.

-tkc