python traceroute

Chandrakant Tiwari chandrakant.tiwari204 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 22:37:26 EST 2015

in the program below i want it to make it work  the same way as TRACERT  command . but i am not able to make it  work the same way . for  which i need  your help thank  you
 here is the program

#!/usr/bin/python
import socket
import struct
import sys

# We want unbuffered stdout so we can provide live feedback for
# each TTL. You could also use the "-u" flag to Python.
class flushfile(file):
    def __init__(self, f):
        self.f = f
    def write(self, x):
        self.f.write(x)
        self.f.flush()

sys.stdout = flushfile(sys.stdout)

def main(dest_name):
    dest_addr = socket.gethostbyname(dest_name)
    port = 33434
    max_hops = 10
    icmp = socket.getprotobyname('icmp')
    udp = socket.getprotobyname('udp')
    ttl = 1
    while True:
        recv_socket = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_RAW, icmp)
        send_socket = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM, udp)
        send_socket.setsockopt(socket.SOL_IP, socket.IP_TTL, ttl)

        # Build the GNU timeval struct (seconds, microseconds)
        timeout = struct.pack("ll", 5, 0)

        # Set the receive timeout so we behave more like regular traceroute
        recv_socket.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_RCVTIMEO, timeout)

        recv_socket.bind(("", port))
        sys.stdout.write(" %d  " % ttl)
        send_socket.sendto("", (dest_name, port))
        curr_addr = None
        curr_name = None
        finished = False
        tries = 3
        while not finished and tries > 0:
            try:
                _, curr_addr = recv_socket.recvfrom(512)
                finished = True
                curr_addr = curr_addr[0]
                try:
                    curr_name = socket.gethostbyaddr(curr_addr)[0]
                except socket.error:
                    curr_name = curr_addr
            except socket.error as (errno, errmsg):
                tries = tries - 1
                sys.stdout.write("* ")

        send_socket.close()
        recv_socket.close()

        if not finished:
            pass

        if curr_addr is not None:
            curr_host = "%s (%s)" % (curr_name, curr_addr)
        else:
            curr_host = ""
        sys.stdout.write("%s\n" % (curr_host))

        ttl += 1
        if curr_addr == dest_addr or ttl > max_hops:
            break

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main('google.com')